Anna Maria Fadda
|Address:||Department of Life and Environmental Sciences,
Unit of Drug Sciences
Via Ospedale, 72, 09124 Cagliari
|Phone:||+39 070 675 8565|
1976: Master Degree in Pharmacy “Magna Cum Laude”, University of Cagliari
1976-1985: Assistant professor in Applied Pharmaceutical Chemistry
1985-2000: Associate Professor in Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Cagliari
1993- 2012: Erasmus Coordinator for the Faculty of Pharmacy
2000: Full Professor in Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Cagliari
2000-2009: Director of the Department Farmaco Chimico Tecnologico
2000-2009: President of the Teacher’s Committee in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology
2007-2009: Member of the Academic Senate of the University of Cagliari
2011: Director of the Master interateneo (Università di Cagliari e Milano) in Clinical Pharmacy
2011: Coordinator of the Teacher’s Committee in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology.
2012: Erasmus Departmental Coordinator, Faculty of Biology and Pharmacy.
At first, Professor Fadda research activity dealt with synthesis and analysis of new bioactive molecules. Since 1990s, her research activity has been devoted to the development of nanocarriers as drug delivery systems. Her expertise is on vesicular carriers, which are designed to overcome biological barriers especially for dermal and transdermal drug delivery. More recently, her interest has also been oriented on novel strategies for mucosal delivery of drugs, with special emphasis on pulmonary and oral delivery. To this purpose, hydrogels, polymer/drug conjugates, and polysaccharide coated vesicles have been prepared and tested. Her research activity has documented by 103 scientific papers published in international peer reviewed scientific journals.
Research projects from 2008 to 2013
- 2006-2009: “Modelling and screening of bioactive molecules laboratory” (DM 28142) financed in the RAS programme, Progetto P1-Azione A1”Laboratori tecnologici del distretto della biomedicina e delle tecnologie per la salute, Sviluppo di metodologie per la modellizzazione e lo studio di farmaci e biofarmaci (Lab 5),
- 2009-2010: Azioni Integrate Italia-Spagna; ; Physico-chemical properties of nanosystems and their applications in the pharmaceutical field”, Italian Coordinator of the project.
- 2010- 2011 Progetti di Rilevante Interesse Nazionale (PRIN 2008), Hydeogels for improvement of drug and bioactive molecole bioavailability; Responsible of the University of Cagliari unit
- 2011-2012 Fondazione Banco di Sardegna “Sviluppo e Sperimentazione in vitro ed in vivo di formulazioni nanoparticellari innovative per il trattamento di patologie cutanee”, responsabile del progetto
- 2012-: Progetti di Rilevante Interesse Nazionale (PRIN 2010-11), Advanced technologies for drug delivery through biological barriers”; Responsible of the University of Cagliari unit.
- 2012: L.R. n. 7/2007 – Bando RAS ricerca di base e orientata, Nanocarrier-entrapped orexinergic peptides for delivery to the central nervous system, Coordinator of the project.
- 2013-2014 Fondazione Banco di Sardegna “Development and in vitro and in vivo evaluation of innovative nanoparticles for treatment of cutaneous diseases.”, Responsible of the project.
Scientific society memberships
- A.D.R.I.T.E.L.F. (Italian Association of Teachers and researchers in Pharmaceutical Technology, Vice President of the board of Directors since 2012)
- Controlled Release Society
- International Liposome Society
- Società Farmaceutica del Mediterraneo Latino, President of the Italian Group since 2006
1985-1997: Pharmaceutical Technology and Law in the Master Degrees in Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology and in Pharmacy.
1997- present: Pharmaceutical Technology and Law 1 and Pharmaceutical Technology and Law 1 in the Master Degree in Pharmacy.
Publications from 2008 to 2013
- M. Manconi, S.Mura, S. Madrigal-Carballo, C. Sinico, AM. Fadda A. O. Vila, F. Molina, Composite soy lecithin–decylpolyglucoside vesicles: a theoretical and experimental study Colloids Surf.A Physicochem. Eng. As, 323, 175-179, 2008.
- ML Manca; S Mourtas, V Drakopoulos; AM Fadda, S Antimisiaris, PLGA, chitosan or chitosan-coated PLGA microparticles for alveolar delivery? A comparative study of particle stability during nebulization, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 62, 220-131, 2008
- C.Sinico C. Caddeo, D. Valenti, A.R. Bilia, F.F. Vincieri, A.M. Fadda, Liposomes as carriers for verbascoside: stability and skin permeation studies, J Liposome Research, 18, 83-90, 2008
- F. Lai, C. Sinico, D. Valenti, ML Manca, AM Fadda, Nanoemulsions as vehicle for topical 8-methoxypsoralen delivery, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, 4, 326-330, 2008
- M Manconi, F Marongiu, G Ennas, A Scano, C Sinico, D Valenti, AM Fadda,Liposomes for (trans)dermal delivery of tretinoin: influence of drug concentration and vesicle composition, J. Drug Deliv. Sci. Technol 18, 309-313, 2008
- Dunkel P; Gelain A; Barlocco D; Haider N; Gyires K; Sperlagh B; Magyar K; Maccioni E; Fadda A and Matyus P, Semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase/vascular adhesion protein 1: recent developments concerning substrates and inhibitors of a promising therapeutic target, Current Medicinal Chemistry,15 (18), 1827-1839, 2008
- ML Manca, G Loy, M Zaru, AM Fadda, SG. Antimisiaris,Release of rifampicin from chitosan, PLGA and chitosan-coated PLGA microparticles, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 67, 166-170, 2008
- M Zaru, C Sinico, A De Logu, C Caddeo, F Lai, ML Manca, AM Fadda, Rifampicin loading liposomes for the passive targeting to alveolar macrophages: in vitro and in vivo evaluation, J Liposome Research, , 19, 68–76, 2009
- M Manconi, J Pendás, N Ledón, T Moreira, C Sinico, L Saso, AM Fadda, Phycocyanin liposomes for topical anti-inflammatory activity: in-vitro in-vivo studies. J Pharm Pharmacol, 61, 423-430, 2009,
- M Zaru, ML Manca, AM Fadda, SG Antimisiaris, Chitosan-coated liposomes for delivery to lungs by nebulization. 2009 Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 71, 88-95, 2009
- F Lai, C Sinico, G Ennas, F Marongiu, G Marongiu, AM Fadda, Diclofenac nanosuspensions: influence of preparation procedure and crystal form on drug dissolution behaviour, , Int. J. Pharm, 373. 124-132, 2009
- M. Manconi, S. Mura, C. Sinico, A.M. Fadda, A.O. Vila, F. Molina Development and characterization of liposomes containing glycols as carriers for diclofenac Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 342, 53-58, 2009
- Sinico, AM Fadda, Vesicular Carriers For Dermal Drug Delivery, Expert Opin Drug Deliv., 6(8):813-825, 2009
- S. Mura, M. Manconi, C. Sinico, D. Valenti, AM Fadda, Penetration enhancer-containing vesicles (pevs) as carriers for cutaneous delivery of minoxidil, Int. J. Pharm,380, 72-79, 2009,
- A González-Paredes, M Manconi, C Caddeo, A Ramos-Cormenzana, M Monteoliva-Sánchez, AM Fadda, Archaeosomes as carriers for betamethasone dipropionate: in vitro evaluation of drug permeation, J. Liposome Research, 20, 269-276, 2010
- M. Manconi, S. Mura, M.L. Manca, A.M. Fadda, M. Dolz, M.J. Hernandez, A. Casanovas, O. Díez-Sales, Chitosomes as drug delivery systems for C-phycocyanin: preparation and characterization, Int. J. Pharm, 392, 92-100, 2010
- S Mura, M Manconi, D Valenti, AO Vila, AM Fadda, Transcutol containing vesicles for topical delivery of minoxidil, Journal of Drug Targeting 19, 189-196, 2011
- M Manconi, C Caddeo, C Sinico, D Valenti, MC Mostallino, G Biggio, AM Fadda,Ex vivo skin delivery of diclofenac by transcutol containing liposomes and suggested mechanism of vesicle-skin interaction. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm, 78, 27-35, 2011
- C Mura, M Manconi, D. Valenti, ML Manca, O Díez-Sales, G Loy, AM Fadda, In vitro study of N-succinyl chitosan for targeted delivery of 5-aminosalicylic acid to colon. Carbohydrate Polymers, 85:578–583, 2011
- M. Manconi, C. Sinico, C. Caddeo, A.O. Vila, D. Valenti, A.M. Fadda, Penetration enhancer containing vesicles as carriers for dermal delivery of tretinoin, Int. J. Pharm, 412, 37-46, 2011,
- A Floris, A Ardu, A Musinu, G Piccaluga, A.M. Fadda, C. Sinico, C Cannas, Spion@liposomes hybrid nanoarchitectures with high density spion association, Soft Matter, 7, 6239-6247, 2011
- C Mura, D Valenti, C Floris, R Sanna, MA De Luca, AM Fadda, G Loy, Metronidazole prodrugs: synthesis, physicochemical properties, stability, and ex vivo release studies, Eur J Med Chem, 46, 4142-4150, 2011
- C. Mura, A. Nácher, V. Merino, M. Merino-Sanjuan, C. Carda, A. Ruiz, M. Manconi, G. Loy, A.M. Fadda, O. Diez-Sales, N-succinyl-chitosan systems for 5-aminosalicylic acid colon delivery: in vivo study with TNBS-induced colitis model in rats, Int. J. Pharm, 416, 145-154, 2011
- F. Lai, E. Pini, G. Angioni, M.L. Manca , J. Perricci, C. Sinico, A.M. Fadda Nanocrystals as tool to improve piroxicam dissolution rate in novel orally disintegrating tablets, Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm, 79, 552-558, 2011
- P Hiwale, S Lampis G Conti, C Caddeo, S Murgia, AM Fadda, M Monduzzi, In vitro release of lysozyme from gelatin microspheres: effect of crosslinking agents and thermoreversible gel as suspending medium, Biomacromolecules, 12,. 3186-3193, 2011
- M. Chessa, D. Valenti, C. Caddeo, M. Manconi, C. Sinico, A.M. Fadda, Effect of penetration enhancer containing vesicles on the percutaneous delivery of quercetin through new born pig skin, Pharmaceutics, 3, 497-509, 2011.
- ML Manca, M Manconi, D Valenti, F Lai, G Loy, P Matricardi, AM Fadda, Liposomes coated with chitosan/xanthan gum (chitosomes) as potential carriers for pulmonary delivery of rifampicin., Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 101, 566-575, 2012
- R Cassano, S Trombino, T Ferrarelli, M.V Mauro, C Giraldi, M Manconi, AM Fadda, N Picci, Respirable rifampicin-based microspheres containing isoniazid for tuberculosis treatment, J Biomed Mater Res A, 100A, 536-542, 2012
- C. Mura,A. Nacher, V. Merino, M. Merino-Sanjuan, M. Manconi, G. Loy, A.M. Fadda, O. Diez-Sales, Design, characterization and in vitro evaluation of 5-aminosalicylic acid loaded n-succinyl-chitosan microparticles for colon specific delivery, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 94, 199-205, 2012;
- S. Mura, M Manconi, E Pini, AM Fadda, MC Sala, J Perricci, E Pini, C Sinico, Penetration enhancer-containing vesicles (PEVs) as carriers for cutaneous delivery of minoxidil: in vitro evaluation of drug permeation by infrared spectroscopy, Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 8 (6) , 1339-1345, 2012
- M. Manconi , C. Caddeo , C. Sinico, D. Valenti , M.C. Mostallino , S. Lampis, M. Monduzzi, A.M. Fadda, Penetration enhancer-containing vesicles: composition dependence of structural features and skin penetration ability, Eur J Pharm Biopharm, 82, 352-359, 2012
- C Caddeo, O Diez Sales, D Valenti, A Ruiz Saurí, AM Fadda, M Manconi, Inhibition of skin inflammation in mice by diclofenac in vesicular carriers: liposomes, ethosomes and PEVs, Int J Pharm, 443, 128-136, 2013.
- F Lai, AM Fadda, C Sinico, Liposomes for brain delivery, Expert opinion on Drug Delivery, 10 (7), 1003-1022, 2013
- M Manconi, A Nacer, V Merino, M Merino-Sanjuan, ML Manca, C Mura, AM Fadda, O Diez, Development of glycerophosphate-chitosan microcomplexes containing liposome cluster for oral administration of metformin: preparation, characterization and oral bioavailability, AAPSPharmSciTech, 14, 486-496, 2013.
- M Pilloni, G Ennas, M Casu, AM Fadda, F Frongia, F Marongiu, R Sanna, A Scano, D Valenti, C Sinico Drug silica nanocomposite: preparation , characterization and skin permeation studies. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 18, 626-633, 2013
- D Pando, Caddeo C, M Manconi, AM Fadda, C Pazos, Nanodesign of olein vesicles for the topical delivery of antioxidant resveratrol Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 65, 1158–1167, 2013
- c Caddeo, M Chessa, A Vassallo, R Pons Pons,O Diez Sales, AM Fadda, M Manconi, Extraction, purification and nanoformulation of natural phycocyanin (from Klamath algae) for dermal and deeper soft tissue delivery. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, 9, 1929-1938, 2013
- M.L. Manca, R. Cassano, D. Valenti, S. Trombino, T. Ferrarelli, N. Picci, A.M. Fadda, and M. Manconi, Isoniazid-gelatin conjugate microparticles containing rifampicin for the treatment of tuberculosis. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 65, 1302–1311, 2013
- C. Caddeo, M. Manconi; A.M. Fadda, F. Lai, S. Lampis; O. Diez Sales, C. Sinico. Nanocarriers for antioxidant resveratrol: formulation approch, vesicle self-assembly and stabilty evaluation, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 111, 327-332, 2013
- ML Manca, M Manconi, AM Falchi, I Castangia, D Valenti, S Lampis, AM Fadda, Closed-packed vesicles for diclofenac skin deliver and fibroblast targeting.Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 80, 609-617, 2013
- ML Manca, M Zaru, M Manconi, F Lai, D Valenti, C Sinico, AM Fadda, Glycerosomes: a new tool for effective dermal and transdermal drug delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 455, 66-74, 2013
- I Castangia, ML Manca, P. Matricardi, C Sinico, S Lampis, X Frenadez-Busquets, AM Fadda, M Manconi. Effect of diclofenac and glycol intercalation on structural assembly of phospholipid lamellar vesicles. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 456, 1-9, 2013
- F. Lai, R. Pireddu, F. Corrias, A.M. Fadda, D. Valenti, E. Pini, C Sinico. Nanosuspension improves tretinoin photostability and delivery to the skin. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 458, 104-109, 2013
- C Caddeo, O Díez-Sales, R Pons, X Fernàndez-Busquets, AM Fadda, M Manconi, Topical anti-inflammatory potential of quercetin in lipid-based nanosystems: in viv o and in vitro evaluation. Pharmaceutical Research, in press, 2013